Tea for two and two for matcha tea and mug cakes! These bakes are a fun and delicious way of serving up both matcha tea and cake in one. Whether using the microwave or a conventional oven they are super quick to make and bake and have the added bonus of looking like matcha lattes when topped with cream and more matcha powder.
Feel free to use coconut cream or yogurt for a dairy free topping alternative. The cakes can also be enjoyed without any topping whatsoever and eaten while still warm, with an actual mug of matcha on the side!
- 50g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 50g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 50ml double cream
- matcha powder to dust
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and using an electric hand whisk or spoon, beat together until creamy and combined. You are looking for a cake batter with a soft dropping consistency, if necessary a splash of milk or water.
- Carefully transfer the mixture between two mugs.
- To microwave your cakes, centre your mugs in the middle of the microwave oven and cook on high for 2-3 mins, until it has stopped rising and is firm to the touch.
- If baking in the oven place the mugs on a baking tray and bake in a oven pre-heated to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 for 10-15 minutes until the cakes are risen and a skewer or knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to fully cool before beating the cream to soft peaks and spoon some onto each mug cake and spread level with a palette knife.
- Sift some matcha powder on top to decorate and enjoy!
Shop our matcha here.