First thing that springs to mind when you think of Easter? Well, ours has got to be hot cross buns! Back in 2020, teapigs UK were lucky enough to have a visit from the lovely Sara from Hen Corner. She runs bakery courses at her home, local to teapigs HQ in West London, and has been a good friend of the company for quite some time now. To celebrate the launch of our brand new, limited edition hot cross bun tea (yup, you heard it right!) Sara kindly created us an exclusive hot cross bun recipe... and it's vegan! Six lucky teapigs got involved in the baking shenanigans and it's safe to say the buns went down VERY well in the office.
We're super excited to share this delicious recipe with you... a firm favourite for all Easters to come!
what you'll need...
fruits & spice:
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- Large mug of teapigs earl grey strong
for the dough:
- 500g strong white flour
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 40g caster sugar
- 310g coconut milk (400g tin)
- 60g dairy free spread
for the crosses:
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tsp oil
- Pinch baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Reserved coconut milk as required
for the sticky glaze:
- 3 tbsp sugar mixed with 2 tbsp hot water
1. Soak the dried fruit and spice in the hot tea, leave to infuse
2. Without shaking the tin, weigh out the coconut milk scooping out the floating cream to use first (save the remainder for the cross mixture)
3. Combine with all other dough ingredients in a large mixing bowl, work the dough for 15 minutes, shape into a tight ball, place in a large bowl, cover and leave to rest for 1 hour
4. Preheat oven to 200c
5. Once dough has doubled in size, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, lift corners and ease into a large rectangle, drain the mixed fruit and scatter over the dough before folding it in
6. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions, shape into tight buns and place on a parchment lined baking tray, cover and proof until doubled in size
7. Combine ingredients for cross paste, using coconut milk for consistency, pipe onto buns
8. Bake at 200c for approx. 12-16 mins, look for firm, risen, golden buns
9. Remove from oven and brush with warm sticky glaze
Be sure to tag us in your hot cross bun creations, @teapigshk!
you might also be interested in...
Check out our hot cross bun tea here (when its gone, it's gone!)